Digging for memory, growing our stories
by Budding Friends Exeter
The Oldham District Amalgamated Trades Council banner collection of Gallery Oldham and the Budding Friends own allotment where they meet.
Digging for memory growing our stories, extolling the benefits of active living and the cultivation of friends and support.
- The banner has two versions a negative side.
- This is a simplified form of oppositional narrative representation i.e. good versus bad, safe v dangerous, unite v divide, this style was often employed on traditional banners to illustrate the benefits of campaigning, joining a union or other organisations.
- The colours blue represents loyalty and yellow is associated with joy and laughter.
- The corner illustrations represent (starting bottom left) the four seasons spring, summer, autumn & winter.
- The embellishments represent the growing cycle of the year, sweet peas grow up blossoming, across to an autumnal tree, as the leafs fall they turn into snowflakes forming a snowdrift that crosses into furrowed land with new shoots.
- The central image is of “Dom” Budding friends allotment scarecrow who welcomes members with tea, cake and flowers.
Concept Ian Beesley
Design Martyn Hall
Centre illustration Paula Charman
Inset illustrations Tony Husband
Poem Ian McMillan
Embellishments Lydia Keane
Printed by Bigartand banners
Exeter April 2019.